LIFE SKILLS PRESENTATIONS
STAR/PAL understands that there are many topics and issues affecting today’s youth that need to be brought to the forefront. Hearing about topics from law enforcement officers and being able to ask questions allows students to gain an understanding of an issue from a perspective they may not have previously considered. Our programs allow for students to humanize and engage with law enforcement officers in a safe and familiar environment. STAR/PAL offers 45 minute to 1-hour presentations on various topics that are delivered on school sites, directly in classrooms.
- Introduction to the program and staff
Team Building/ Teamwork
- What is teamwork?
- How to build it?
- How we learn from it?
- What makes a successful team?
- The good, the bad and the ugly. How to address it?
- Why is leadership important?
- What each person brings to a team?
Social Media Safety
- Why social media?
- Passwords and Privacy
- Location Services
- Friend requests
- Reading between the lines
- Permanent nature of the internet
- Being your own person
Mental Health and Wellness
- What is mental health ?
- Focusing on mental wellness.
- The impact mental health has on marijuana use.
- The affects that sleep, exercise, and diet have on mental health.
- Coping strategies- healthy self-talk, breathing techniques.
Bias and Stereotyping
- What’s the difference?
- Where do they come from?
- How to identify?
- Bias vs. preference
- Types of stereotyping: racial, cultural, groups, sexual, gender
- What purpose does it serve?
- How to stop it?
- Small decisions vs. big decisions
- Decision making strategies
- What is needed for good decision making?
- What affects our decision making?
- Thinking ahead
- Consequences Correcting a wrong decision
The Law and You
- Alcohol and Marijuana
- Domestic Violence
- Miranda Rights
- Encounters with police
- Communicating with police
- Consensual Contact vs. Stop or Detention
- Vehicle codes and collisions
- What is self-awareness?
- Building self-awareness
- Internal compass- what is it and is it important?
- GPS vs. Compass
- Personal values & finding your direction
- Self-assessment & investing in yourself
- A key to success
- The importance of shared power, respect, communication, balance, trust, etc.
- Conflict is real: healthy vs. unhealthy
- Friendships and romantic relationships
- Warning signs of unhealthy relationships
- Getting help for yourself or others
Bystanders and Upstanders
- Understanding the difference between an upstander and bystander
- What causes inaction for bystanders
- Evaluating different scenarios and appropriate actions
- Becoming an upstander through action
- Preventative measures to put a stop to bullying